What is Mindfulness?
Our definition of mindfulness: Being aware of what's going on -- in our minds, in our bodies and around us -- and accepting it without trying to change it (because trying to change it will most likely drive us crazy).
"I’ve been doing [meditation] for over 40 years. But it’s very hard to explain… It’s like having a [phone] charger for your whole body and mind…"
- Jerry Seinfeld
“Meditation more than anything in my life was the biggest ingredient of whatever success I’ve had… It opens the mind. It creates an openness, a freedom… that creativity just kind of comes through and it creates an equanimity. In other words, you could step back and you can put things in perspective… [It] has given me centeredness and creativity… It’s also given me peace and health.”
- Ray Dalio, Founder Bridgewater Associates
Meditation and Stress
"Stress reduction and mindfulness are a proven competitive advantage in any business."
- Ariana Huffington, Author and Entrepreneur
Meditation and Focus
"I thought meditation was a woo woo activity that sanctimonious hipsters would lecture me about. It's an exercise in bringing attention back to present state...If you want to get your work done faster, meditate. It’s incredible."
- Tim Ferriss, Author
- Meditation increases cortical thickness and affects gray matter - Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience (Oxford Journals)
- Meditation improves working memory and cognition - Consciousness and Cognition
- Meditation improves decision making and reduces bias - Psychological Science
- Meditators switch tasks less often and stress less - University of Washington
Meditation, Empathy and Teamwork
"Meditation has demonstrably reduced my stress and helped to maintain my good health, and has immeasurably benefited my family and business relationships."
- Ramani Ayer, Chairman and CEO The Hartford Financial Services Group
Meditation and Health
“If we can create a healthier you, we can create a healthier world and healthier company.”
- Mark Bertolini, CEO Aetna
- Meditation reduces risk of heart disease, stroke and death - American Heart Association
- Body scan meditation reduces blood pressure and heart rate - Annals of Behavioral Medicine
- Meditation affects inflammatory genes, reducing inflammation and improving recovery time - Psychoneurendicronology
- Meditation reduces pain intensity and unpleasantness - Journal of Neuroscience
- Meditation improves Marines' immune function - American Journal of Psychiatry
- Meditation improves sleep quality and reduces fatigue - JAMA
- Meditation reduces healthcare costs by $2,000 per year - AETNA
"What you focus on expands, and when you focus on the goodness in your life, you create more of it. Opportunities, relationships, even money flowed my way when I learned to be grateful no matter what happened in my life."
- Oprah Winfrey
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
- Albert Einstein
- Written gratitude practice increases prefrontal cortex activity and gratitude behavior - Neuroimage
- Gratitude and well-being are positively connected - Psychiatry
- Gratitude improves patience - Emotion
- Self-reported physical health improves when gratitude is present - Personality and Individual Differences
- Self-affirmations produce positive effects on behavioral choices - Health Psychology
- Self-affirmations restore self-control - Journal of Personality and Social Psychology